Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Typography II - Journal Entry #6

30 Conversations on Design:

1) Pete Docter - Storytime.
He claims that the most inspirational aspect (to him) in design is the STORY, or the reaction he gets from his viewer. I couldn't agree more. Our job as designers is to dig at some kind of understanding and reaction from the people who see our work. We get credit and satisfaction for doing so, so I think he hit the nail right on the head. I would probably answer his question very similarly, but I'd probably elaborate on the imaginative quality of the story concept and how the imagination of the design's supposed story plays a big role. Say it without PLOPPING it on the page, ya know! :)

2) Kit Henrichs - Bar Bones.
He talks about the awesome, yet often unnoticed effect of typography on us all. Its not the letterform itself, its the way it it used expressively. And it's not just the alphabet its the emotion that arises when you set a certain typeface or organization of type. I think that type inspires me the most just because of the stealthily effect it has on people. No one seems to realize how much type is all around us and how its use and organization effects our understanding of our environment. It truly is neat!

3) Jake McCabe - Tabula Rasa.
This one struck me. He siad that the most inspiring thing about design to him was a blank 8.5"x11" sheet of paper. I think that is so interesting. It represents a clean state and the enormous amount of opportunity to fill that page with something incredible. I've always loved the feeling of getting a new BLANK sketchbook, just because I know how cool it will be once it is FULL. Kind of like a momento of your talent, work and even your mentality. I would answer the question in the same way one using the color white also, which is just one of my favorite colors to use. Wether it be to start over or to highlight a finished work!

4) Ken Carbone - Empowerment.
His example was of a thing called the Q-Drum which was a neat water holding device shaped like a wheel that made it easier for people in third world countries to transport their water. This shows how even the SIMPLEST design can have tremendous benefit on people all over the world. There is more power behind design than most people realize. I would answer his question more along the lines of the empowering of designers to shape the way the world develops and use their talents to make other people happy. It's a very inspirational thought.

5) Jessica Hirshe - Group Bonding.
She spoke about how what inspires her the most is student work, and the growth of the young designer. This means a lot to me because I am a growing designer who still has ALOT to learn, but it's nice to know that people are out there willing to teach. She also mention that the fear of the death of print inspires her to maintain her work quality because eventually everything will be online and designers will have to adapt to this change. Myself, have never considered this idea that print will die, it does seem very unsettling and definitely inspires me to keep moving forward with my study of design and how to better myself at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment